Monday, February 1, 2010

Mystery Story questions and answers

1.What would you call this story? Why?

I would call this story The Box. This title makes me wonder about the box and why it is so important in this plot. The title lures me into the story, which makes me feel mysterious about the story and want to keep reading.

2. What did you think was going to happen? What clues in the text led you to think this?

I thought the lottery was very bad, since nobody wanted to get the wrong piece of paper. Since everyone in the story wasn't excited about the drawing, of the lottery it gave me the assumption that it wasn't something that you wanted. But I didn't think it would as bad as it turned out to be, I thought you would have to leave the city, not get stoned to death.

3. How did you feel when the end of the story was not given to you?

I felt a lot of tension within my mind. I felt anxious to open the paper but I waited until 5pm to open it. The tension within my mind made me feel excited and looking forward to the end of the day. It was a very exciting experience but I found it a really tempting to open the paper.


4.How did you feel when you were handed the mystery paper? What did you think was in it? Did you follow the instructions? Why or why not?

I wondered what the paper was for and why some people had a black dot on their paper. I assumed it was the end of the story since we didn't finish it in class. Yes I did follow the instructions since it was an assignment that had to be completed.

5. How did you feel about the black box and the black spot/blank paper? Explain.

I was happy to know that nothing was on my paper and that I was lucky since I didn't have the black dot. But I didn't know what was going to happen to the people with the black dot. I think that as people we don't want the worse to happen to us so we make ourselves think that nothing will change, for ourselves but for the person with a different paper in this case.

6. Were your predictions correct?

No my predictions were not correct I thought that the person with the unlucky draw would end up being executed from the town


7. How did you feel when you read the end of the story? Explain.

I felt relieved when I was able to finish the story. If I really like a book I usually don't put it down until I know what will happen, thats how I felt when I read this story in the group. All of my questions were answered when I was able to finish the story, which cleared up a lot of confusion that I had inside of me.

8. What would have helped you to make a better prediction?

If I could have had more proof within the
begining of the story I would have been able to know a more definite answer to what was going to happen.

9. Why did the author leave these voids in the story?

The author wanted us to keep on reading the story and not to stop. He didn't want his readers to loose intrest in the book, so added voids to make us wonder more throughout the book which kept us reading his book.

10. Explain the power of the void in this experience:

a. No title/author information – It made me wonder, what is the overall idea of this story

b. No ending – This made me eager to find out what happens with the lottery, the tension was really increasing at the point that we stopped at.

c. Text clues and foreshadowing throughout – The clues of foreshadowing helped me answer some of my questions, but there wasn't a lot of foreshadowing in the plot.

d. Mystery paper – I wondered what was in the paper and I was hoping that the answer of the black dot was in there.

e. Delayed ending – This created a lot of tension throughout my day and made me wonder what was going to happen.

f. Anything else that created tension and conflict for you… The wait was agony since I was really into the story/plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment